You are not logged on. Log on to Personal Internet Banking Australia Internet Banking Not logged on to Australian Personal Internet Banking

More Information about Moving Overseas

It's reassuring to know some things remain the same wherever you go.

Moving Overseas

If you're moving to start work in a new country, traveling internationally or living overseas and still need links to home, then HSBC can help.

For HSBC being global is part of everyday life and as the world's local bank, we know and understand your needs.

Our global expertise can make your relocation easier wherever your destination.

Arranging Your Visa / Work Permit

Your passport is your most important travel document. All Australian citizens must have a valid passport before leaving Australia and maintain a valid passport while overseas. More information on passports can be found at the Passports Office or by calling the Australian Passport Information Service (APIS) on 131 232 (in Australia). If you are overseas, contact the nearest Australian embassy, high commission or consulate.

Some countries may deny you entry if you don't have a passport with a minimum of six months validity. Check whether this applies to your destination and plan accordingly.

Contact the relevant foreign embassy, high commission or consulate to get information on visa and other entry and exit conditions (such as currency, customs and quarantine regulations), travelling with medicines and working overseas. Remember to also check the visa requirements for countries that you may visit or transit through.

If you plan to work in a foreign country, you may also need a work permit or a visa that allows you to work. These permits/working visas must be obtained from the authorities of the foreign country before you leave Australia.


Driving Overseas

If you plan to drive overseas you may need to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP). An IDP is proof that you hold a valid driver's licence in your home country and must be carried with a valid Australian driver's licence. In Australia, IDPs are issued by the Australian Automobile Association - contact details can be found at

Top Back to top


Finding the Right Place to Live

Finding the right place to live can be quite difficult, especially if you are moving with your family and children. Contact relocation companies with expertise in your new destination and get a headstart in your search. Contact your HSBC Premier Relationship manager to find out more.

Top Back to top


Children's Education

If you have school-age children and are planning to move overseas, schooling conditions in your host country need to be considered. It is important that you arrange for appropriate schooling for your children before leaving Australia. Take copies of your children's school records in case they are needed.

If you have a child of secondary school age you will need to consider other factors. For children wanting to attend university in Australia it is important to research the implications of completing their secondary education overseas. Older children attending local schools can often experience difficulties adjusting to new languages or teaching styles.

Top Back to top


Arranging Your Finances

Our qualified staff at the International Banking Centre can arrange to open overseas HSBC accounts for you before you leave for your new country. Simply contact your HSBC Premier Relationship Manager prior to your departure to arrange for your account to be set up prior to your move.

Top Back to top


Family Healthcare

It is a good idea to have a health and dental check-up before you leave. Your doctor or travel clinic is the best source of information about immunisations and disease outbreaks overseas.

You can find out more about health travel and vaccinations from:

For further information, obtain and/or download a copy of the brochure Travelling well.

Top Back to top


Insurance Cover

You should consider getting travel insurance coverage in case of emergency whilst traveling. When organising travel insurance ensure you're covered for general medical expenses, pre-existing medical conditions (be honest or you may find the insurance company won't pay out), hospitalisation, medical evacuations and the return of remains to Australia or your home country.

Some hospitals overseas will not admit you unless you have insurance, no matter what is wrong with you. Medicare will not cover you outside of Australia.

If you are living overseas long-term you may need to consider local insurance to cover your needs rather than travel insurance. Check your travel insurance expiry date to make sure you don't get caught without cover.

Top Back to top



The amount of tax that Australians must pay if they are earning money overseas will depend on personal circumstances. For further information, go to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website or call the ATO on 13 28 61.

If you earn any income while you are overseas, you may be required to pay tax on that income in the country where it is earned. Australia has reciprocal agreements in place with only a few countries to prevent double taxation. You should check the rules and regulations with the other country's embassy, high commission or consulate before you leave Australia, or consult the nearest Australian embassy, high commission or consulate abroad.

Top Back to top


Top 10 Travel Tips

Many problems encountered overseas can be avoided if some simple precautions are taken. Follow our overseas travel tips to be well on your way to having a hassle-free journey.

  1. Check the latest travel advice for your destination at before you go. Subscribe to receive free email notification each time the travel advice is updated.
  2. Take out travel insurance to cover hospital treatment, medical evacuation and any activities, like adventure sports, in which you plan to participate.
  3. Before travelling overseas register your travel and contact details online at or at the local Australian embassy, high commission or consulate once you arrive so we can contact you in an emergency.
  4. Obey the law of the country you're visiting. Don't expect to be treated differently to the locals just because you're Australian, even if local laws appear harsh or unfair by Australian standards.
  5. Make sure you have the right visas for the countries you are visiting or transiting. And remember: a visa doesn't guarantee entry.
  6. Make copies of your passport details, insurance policy, travellers' cheques, visas and credit card numbers. Carry one copy in a separate place to the originals and leave a copy with someone at home.
  7. Consult your doctor on any recommended vaccinations and the necessary health precautions to take. Also find out about taking medication overseas - certain medicines aren't allowed in some countries.
  8. Make sure your passport has a minimum six months validity. Carry extra passport photos just in case your passport is lost or stolen and you need to replace it while away.
  9. Keep in contact with friends and family back home and give them a copy of your itinerary so they know where you are.
  10. Check to see if you're regarded as a national of the country you plan to visit, and whether dual nationality will have any implications for your travel plans.

Top Back to top