You’ve sorted out your finances, worked out how much you can borrow and gathered up all the vital documents. Now it’s time to start looking.
Ask the right questions
Getting the answers you need on your home-buying journey means asking the right questions. Here are some of the key ones to help you get started.
For your property agent:
- How much did the property sell for last time?
- What are the area’s annual council rates?
- If it’s a unit, what are the strata levies and pending levies?
- What is the likely rental return based on the current agreement?
- Are there any approved alteration plans for the property?
- Have any illegal additions been made to the property?
- Are any recent building or pest inspections available for review?
- Are there any plumbing and wiring reports?
- How long will the settlement period be?
- Do you provide the ‘Contract of Sale’?
For your conveyancer or solicitor:
- Are you professionally qualified to do the work?
- Are fees and disbursements (property searches, certificates etc.) included or extra costs?
- Will you charge extra for preparing the Contract of Sale?
- Do you handle all communication during the buying process?
This isn’t an exhaustive list and you should always seek professional financial advice before buying. And remember, this is your future home we’re talking about – so whatever you want to know, don’t be afraid to ask.
Apply for a Home Loan
Call us on
HSBC Australia customers with online banking
New customers to HSBC Australie or customers without online banking
You might be interested in
Compare our range of HSBC Home Loans.
A guide to the process of refinancing and the option that you should consider.
Information to help you through the process of buying your home.
Information to help you make your first big investment into property.
Terms & ConditionsExpanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
Credit provided by HSBC Bank Australia ABN 48 006 434 162. Australia Credit Licence 232595. Terms, condition, fees, charges and HSBC lending criteria apply. This advertisement does not take into account your personal, financial situation. Please consider a relevant Product Disclosure Statement available at hsbc.com.au or by calling 1300 308 008 before making a decision about this product.