Buying a new home
There's a lot to think about when you're buying a new home. Like whether to sell your current one before or after you buy the new place. Then there's the costs involved, which is why it makes sense to get the right advice – and a loan that works for you.
Here are some considerations to make the process easier:
- Bridging finance
- Buying costs
- Which loan is right for me
Home selling tips
Selling your home can be an emotional process. You want to be sure you're making the right decision, at the right time. So before you set the ball rolling, ask yourself:
- Could renovation or expansion be an option without moving?
- Would it be better to buy and settle before you sell?
- Should you opt to sell by auction or private treaty?
Once you're sure selling is the right thing to do, it's time to find out the true market value of your property. You can do this by:
- Finding out how much comparable properties have sold for recently
- Asking two or three reputable local real estate agents for a price estimate
- Requesting an independent valuation from a registered valuer
Preparing to sell
The way you present your property to potential buyers makes all the difference. You'll need a comprehensive marketing plan and the tools to do the job – like stand-out signage, local advertising, letterbox drops, online listings and media editorials. So make sure the real estate agent you choose is ready to supply them to the standard you require.
Agency agreement checklist
If you do choose to sell through an agent, remember that their agency agreement is legally binding. Laws differ from state to state, but here are some factors to consider:
- The duration of the agreement
- The commission and all payable fees and charges
- What happens if the property passes at auction
- Who pays for advertising your property and relevant fees
Bear in mind that this is not an exhaustive list, so it's worth seeking professional advice before you commit.
Apply for a Home Loan
Call us on
HSBC Australia customers with online banking
New customers to HSBC Australia or customers without online banking
You might be interested in
Getting to settlement
Making that house your home
Terms & Conditions
Credit provided by HSBC Bank Australia ABN 48 006 434 162. Australia Credit Licence 232595. Terms, condition, fees, charges and HSBC lending criteria apply. This advertisement does not take into account your personal, financial situation. Please consider a relevant Product Disclosure Statement available at hsbc.com.au or by calling 1300 308 008 before making a decision about this product.