Keeping your Online and Mobile Banking secure
Security is a top priority at HSBC – that's why we're dedicated to protecting your accounts with our Secure Key, when you transact online.
How we protect your account
HSBC uses a variety of measures to protect your financial information and keep it safe and secure.
- Multi-layer logon Verification
Your financial information is protected by a combination of a unique Username and Password, as well as Security Codes generated by your Secure Key.
- Transaction Verification
When you transfer money or pay bills online, HSBC prompts you for a transaction verification code generated by your Secure Key. This means only you can authorise payment and transfer requests.
- TLS Encryption
HSBC uses TLS 1.2 encryption, the industry standard level.
- Automatic 'Time-out' feature
Your Online Banking session will automatically time-out, after a period of not being used. You should always close your Online Banking session when you've finished.
Tips to keep your account secure
Taking these simple steps will further enhance the security of your Online Banking:
- Protect your computer with the latest anti-virus and firewall protection software and download updates regularly so you have the latest protection.
- Choose a password that's memorable to you but hard for someone else to guess. Passwords containing combinations of alpha and numeric characters are generally harder to guess.
- Avoid using the same password you use for other services. Your password should be unique to HSBC Online Banking.
- Change your Online Banking password on a regular basis.
- Never tell anyone your Online Banking password, not even HSBC staff. We'll never ask you for your password.
- Don't write your Online Banking username together with your password, and never leave your log on details with your Secure Key.
- Disable functionality that remembers log on details on your computer or browsers.
Register for Online Banking
Complete our simple online form to register for online banking
Having issues and need to talk?
1300 306 543
You might be interested in
HSBC Safeguard is a series of related initiatives to better protect our customers from fraud and financial crime.
We protect our emails to you, so that you can be confident your banking experience with us is secure.
Terms & Conditions
* Certain accounts may have restrictions. HSBC Internet Banking Customers, please refer to the Internet Banking Product Disclosure Statement for more details.