Keeping your Online and Mobile Banking secure
At HSBC, we understand that security is important to you. That's why we are dedicated to protecting your accounts when you transact online with our Secure Key.
Ways that we protect your account
HSBC uses a variety of measures to protect your financial information and ensure it is kept safe and secure.
- Multi-layer logon Verification
Your financial information is protected by a combination of a unique Username and Password, as well as Security Codes generated by your Secure Key.
- Transaction Verification
When you transfer money or pay bills online, HSBC prompts you for a Transaction Signing Code generated by your Secure Key. This ensures that only you can authorise payment and transfer requests.
- 128-bit encryption
HSBC uses the highest level of encryption for information transmitted during an Online Banking session.
- Automatic 'Time-out' feature
As a security measure, your Online Banking session will automatically shut-down or time-out, out after a period of not being used. You should always close your Online Banking session when you have finished.
Ways you can secure your account
Adopt the following measures to ensure Online Banking security:
- Ensure your computer is protected with the latest anti-virus and firewall protection software at all times. Download updates regularly to ensure you have the latest protection.
- Choose a Password that is memorable to you but not easy to guess by someone else. Passwords that contain combinations of alpha and numeric characters are generally harder to guess.
- Do not choose a Password that you use for other services. Your Password should be unique to Online Banking.
- Change your Online Banking Password on a regular basis.
- Never disclose your Online Banking Password to anyone. A member of HSBC will never ask you for your Password.
- Do not write your Online Banking Username together with your Password. Do not write your Password in a recognisable format and never leave your log on details with your Online Security Device.
- Disable functionality on your computer or browsers that remembers log on details.
Register for Online Banking
Complete our simple online form to register for online banking
Having issues and need to talk?
1300 306 543
Terms & ConditionsExpanded press enter to collapse Collapsed press enter to expand
* Certain accounts may have restrictions. HSBC Internet Banking Customers, please refer to the Internet Banking Product Disclosure Statement for more details.