Frequently asked questions
How do I access Live Chat?
Live Chat can only be accessed via the HSBC Australia website. If you are on the HSBC Australia website, you may receive an invitation to chat with one of our consultants via a pop-up window in your browser.
You can also access Live Chat by clicking the “Start Live Chat” button on the right-hand-side of your screen and following the instructions to begin a secured chat session.
Please note: Live Chat is subject to the availability of HSBC consultants. When consultants are available to chat, the "Start Live Chat" button will be displayed.
Do I need to have an HSBC account or log on to my HSBC account to use Live Chat?
There are several pages (e.g. product pages, product application pages) where you can begin a Live Chat with an HSBC consultant without having an account or being logged on.
For example, the below enquiries can be addressed when chatting on the general HSBC website:
- Locate an HSBC ATM
- Locate your closest branch
- Request an application form or product brochure
- Discuss general HSBC information
What type of enquiries can be handled in Live Chat?
The types of enquiries consultants can help you with depends on whether you are logged in to Online Banking using your single password or Digital Secure Key/Online Security Key.
For example, when logged in to Online Banking using your single password, an HSBC consultant may be able to help you with a number of enquiries including, but not limited to:
- Transaction enquiries
- Bank statement requests
- Loan account detail enquiries
For example, when logged in to Online Banking using your Online Security Device, an HSBC consultant may be able to help you with:
Requesting a new or replacement:
- Card PIN
- Cheque book
You can also enquire about:
- Activating a new card
- Reactivating a previously blocked card
- Requesting a Credit Card reissue
How do I access Live Share?
To use Live Share, you must be using the Live Chat tool on the HSBC AU website. The consultant will send you an invitation to begin a Live Share session where you must read and accept the Terms and Conditions before continuing to share your screen.
Please note: Live Share is subject to the availability of HSBC consultants. When consultants are available, the "Start Live Chat" button will be displayed.
Do I need to have an HSBC account or log on to my account to use Live Share?
Currently, Live Share is only available on pages of the website where you are about to log on or register for an Online Banking account or you are already signed in to your account:
- New Online Banking Registration pages
- New Online Banking Log On page
- Pages within the new Online Banking platform: Here you must be signed in to your account
Depending on customer demand for Live Share, we will endeavour to increase the availability of this functionality for customers across the HSBC website.
What type of enquiries can be handled in Live Share?
- Questions regarding how to complete your Online Banking registration
- Enquiries about logging on to your Online Banking account
- Managing your Online Banking account questions, e.g. how do I make a BPAY? How can I update my details?
Note: HSBC consultants will not provide you with any investment advice during your Live Share session.
What can HSBC see on my computer when I use Live Share?
During your Live Share session:
- HSBC only views your Online Banking webpages
- Consultants are unable to view your non-HSBC web pages or non-web-based applications
- Our staff cannot take control of or make any changes to your HSBC Online Banking browser
- Your passwords and answers to secret questions are not visible to HSBC staff
- Consultants cannot initiate any transactions via your Online Banking account